My auntie Kim and uncle Brad gave me a cookbook called Silver Spoons for Children. The first dish that I cooked was Chicken Stew with Olives. Auntie Kim helped me. She put the cast iron pot in the oven, because it was very heavy and I couldn’t lift it.
Step 1: read the recipe
Step 2: DO the recipe
Third thing….eat your food! That’s an order!
While the stew was cooking in the oven, I made a salad and salad dressing. Uncle Brad made garlic bread.
My mom took pictures and drank wine while I was cooking.
We usually have leftovers, but that day, we didn’t have any leftovers at all.
- 4 large pieces or 8 small pieces of chicken such as legs or thighs.
- 1 tbs sweet butter.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups black olives
- 1 (14-oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1. Turn on the oven to 325 degrees F. Pull the skin away from the pieces of chicken (we didn't do this because we like the skin). Put the butter and oil in a heavy flameproof casserole dish, heat on the stove until the butter has melted, add the chicken pieces, and cook over medium heat for 5 min without touching the chicken.
- 2. Using tongs, turn the chicken pieces over - they should be a nice golden color on one side. Cook for another 3 min. Take off the heat.
- 3. Using a rolling pin, carefully squash an olive slightly so you can open it up and take the pit out. Do this with all the olives. (we didn't have to do this because we had canned olives without pits).
- 4. Pour the canned tomatoes over the chicken, fill the empty can with water, and add to the chicken with the olives and sugar, Stir with a wooden spoon, cover with a lid, and using oven mitts, put in the oven, and cook for 40 minutes.
- 5. Wearing your oven mitts, take the casserole dish out of the overn. Tear the basil and use scissors to snip the parsley. Sprinkle the herbs over the top and serve with polenta, bread, pasta, rice, or potatoes.
- I doubled the recipe except for the olive oil and the chicken, we didn't exactly double it, we used 6 pieces of chicken because that's all the chicken we had. Also we used 2 kinds of olives.